ABOUT OLD RECTORY HOUSE
AN HISTORIC RESIDENCE SET WITHIN THE HEART OF THE SHROPSHIRE HILLS
The Old Rectory was built in the mid-eighteenth century for John Mainwaring, who was rector from 1749 to 1807. Mainwaring is noted as the first biographer of the composer George Frederick Handel. He was also friendly with the landscape gardener Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, who visited the house in 1775 and may have been consulted on the once extensive rectory grounds.
Two subsequent rectors, T B Coleman (1807-18) and R N Pemberton (1818-48), extended and remodelled the Old Rectory in regency style. In the early 1970s the Old Rectory was sold and divided into separate dwellings, the main portion and architectural features fortunately being left largely intact in what is now Old Rectory House.
The building is listed and merits a paragraph in Pevsner’s guide to the buildings of Shropshire.
Old Rectory House is situated on the edge of Church Stretton, looking over the house’s old grounds (now public parkland) towards the church tower and the hills beyond. The guest areas have been recently refurbished and furnished by the present owners, Steven and James, to provide comfortable, refined accommodation.